HISTORY OF ST SCHOLASTICA'S COLLEGE
In 1878, the Good Samaritan Sisters established a high school in Pitt Street, Sydney. From as early as 1881, the School prepared students for University examinations.
The school moved from Pitt Street (which became the site of Central Railway Station) to Glebe Point in 1901; the original gates from the Pitt Street site grace the Glebe Point site today.
The Glebe Point property was once owned by George Wigram Allen and was formerly known as Toxteth Park Estate. The Good Samaritan Congregational Centre now occupies the original home. The foundation stone for the new school at Glebe Point was laid by Cardinal Moran on 16 October 1901.
Other noteworthy dates include:
1931: The Polding Memorial Chapel was built
1925: Wychwood Cottage was purchased
1941: The current boarding house was established
2004: The Trixie Forest multi-purpose centre was completed and opened
2009: A new library and technology resource centre opened.
Of course, there was much growth over the decades as successive boards and school leaders executed a continually evolving Master Plan.
St Scholastica’s is one of a network of 10 Good Samaritan schools in Australia and one in Japan.
The Allen Family & Toxteth Park
Below are some historic photos of the Allen family and the Toxteth Park Estate.
Read more about the Allen Family and Toxteth Park on Wikipedia here.